Monday 8 October 2012

sewing : ikat trousers

pink and blue ikat trousers, being worn
I originally made these trousers two years ago, when my eldest boy was still a baby using this wonderful ikat fabric from the V&A.

What drew me most to this fabric is the colours.Personally do not really like the colour pink, nor am I not a fan of pale blue. But I get so frustrated by the fact that so many baby products come in blue or pink (or occassionally an insipid shade of yellow) that I frequently find myself rebelling from and buying pink things for my boys.
pink and blue ikat trousers, lying on the floor pink and blue ikat fabric, as bought
Fortunately, this fabric manages to be blue, pink, cheerful and sassy - a great uni-sex baby fabric. And the trousers have stood up to being worn by two baby boys.

'handmade for babies' book, cover'handmade for babies' book, inside


The pattern is based on one from 'Handmade for Babies', a Japanese book of baby patterns.The trousers are quick and easy to make, use very little fabric and are quick to get on and off (ideal for quick changes after messy baby led weaning meals). They are definitely my go-to baby pattern.

No comments: